Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just a thought...

Well I found out today that the cyst that's had me in chronic pain for anearly a year has finally resolved itself, and the pain I have now is probably psychological. So whooo- I can go back to Karate! I miss it SO bad.

Karate got me thinking. I'm always trying to think up ways to challenge and exercise Jake since I honestly can't walk him in our neighborhood(which upsets me to no end, I WANT to walk this dog but I can't thanks to... neighbors thinking everyone else should deal with their dogs running about)... the flirt pole didn't work out too well in the long run, as he kept going after the stick once he realized that's what made the toy go round and round. I'd like to retry it at some point...

Currently we:

Play fetch with numerous objects
Play frisbee(my throw sucks though)
Walk in focused heel around the yard with numerous tricks thrown in randomly as well as stops
Play controlled tug; grab when I say get it, release when I say drop it
Play chase
Practice tricks, distance work, and anything that involves targeting a specific object
Are working on makeshift agility things

So the idea of Karate*YAY* got me thinking. I wonder if I could teach Jake to heel through a Kata... like, instead of punching, kicking, etc, he could do a trick... maybe I could even teach him speak for a kiai! It'd be similar to my focused heel thing, but a lot more uniform and tight as far as pattern. Sharper turns.

I think of the stupidest things. But it sounds like fun, I just might try it. But yeah... stupid tricks lol. I still have an idea for a 'fish on a line' imitation.

Just wanted to share, and record my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! You can also look into Heeling to Music.. it's basically dancing with your dog. There's a blog all about it on this site: www.bighoneydog.com

    ReplyDelete