Friday, September 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jake Boy. 5 Months to 2 years...

Petfinder; before February 24, 2008

Early Days

Summer 2008

Winter 2008-2009
Spring 2009

Summer 2009

Last WeekendYesterday

Today

Where to start... I can't believe he's two already. It feels pretty crazy. The way I got him isn't as dramatic and heart wrenching as others, but I do often feel that it must have been fate... my dad and I were out looking for a puppy. First we checked bulletin boards, checking for 'mutt puppies free to good home' ads... I'd already bought the little collar and a set of bowls for what I had assumed would be the eight week old fluff ball I'd bring home. It wasn't to be the first dog in my life, but the first dog to be gotten specifically for ME. I was excited. To my dismay, we found no ads for puppies. I could have waited, but we decided to check the shelter... first one had no dogs. The second, and only other shelter in the area had three.

One was a small, yappy puppy, probably around 12 weeks. He was cute, but can you blame me for being put off by the barking? Aside from that, the two across the aisle from him had my interest more.

The first was a 5 months old husky mix. Incredibly handsome, and friendly; constantly licking my fingers through the bars.

The second with a 5 month old 'shepherd mix', with sad eyes, a nubby tail. He was called 'Peanut', and I was in love with him instantly, I'll admit. I'm embarrassed to admit now that I thought he was a girl at first, but the way he sat made it hard to tell, and it didn't say on his card. One of the workers came, and we asked about both dogs, about personalities etc. Both were good dogs, they said, but they really pushed the one called Peanut. One of the shelter workers had fostered him with his brother(whom the worker kept) until he was a little older, so he knew 'Peanut' quite well. That's also how I know Jake's birthdate; the worker knew the family who had the oops litter. So we took the nubby tailed dog into a different room to meet him, and he had my heart immediately. We signed the papers, went and bought a much larger collar and a crate(that he never slept in except for the first night), and went home. He was also promptly renamed. Like I said, not heart wrenching or eventful.

But he wormed his way quickly into the whole family's heart, especially Buck's. They've bonded so much, and they're just like brothers. Buck has a ritual of almost every evening washing Jake's ears, and they are best buds.

Jake is my boy; he's smart, and fun, and he makes me smile. I look forward to living with him through many more of his birthdays.

I'm bad at writing stuff like this... but that's his story.

Today, since it is his birthday, I attempted to do a retake of one of my favorite pictures of Jake of all time...
Late August, 2008
Picture taken today, September 4, 2009Happy Birthday, Jake boy. I love ya.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful progression from a cute adolescent into a big handsome dog. He looks great and you're both so lucky to have each other. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete