Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rainy Day

Jake and I worked some more on picking dandelions. We didn't stay out long, though, because it's wet and trying to rain. I did tell my younger brother and sister 'watch, it's going to rain all four days you're at camp...' looks like I might be right. Hopefully it's nicer where they are.

Anyways, since he was already going after Dandelions specifically and not trying to graze on grass as well like before, I clicked and treated for nibbles a bit then moved on to holding out for him plucking the flowers. It didn't take long for him to figure it out, so I had him do that a few times before I broke off the session.

We then played ball, and practiced long distance sits/downs/play deads/cross paws... sort of. He's too used to my routine! Most of the time before I'd always fake him out so he ran out a ways and turned back to me. Then I would tell him to lay down, and then I'd throw the ball. He's got that down pat. Ask for a sit? He downs instead. To be expected. I got him to offer Cross Paws from a distance a few times, so I was pleased with that.

Play dead though... he doesn't like doing that when there's a tennis ball involved! He either yelps like he's just been shot(would be fun to add to the trick if I could rofl) and flails his head, or rolls half onto his side then springs back into a poised down position, or rolls onto his side yelping then right back up into the poised down.

I noticed dad coming down the street, so I had him practice Wait at the gate while Dad pulled into the driveway and got out of the truck.

I wanted to do more work on ignoring Charlie but, other than one incident with him antagonizing our dogs at the back fence, I guess they kept him home today.

Charlie is a dog that lives on our street. His owners just allow him to run loose, and he instigates Buck and Jake by running up and down our fence line, barking, and it's just... gah. But things have gotten a bit better at least... Jake's recall away from those situations is getting better, and his threshold for Charlie is getting a bit better. He can be across the street without Jake zoning in now. It's better if Charlie holds still, I've noticed. If he's moving it makes things worse.

Overall it's been a dull day. Buck and Jake have been asleep most of it, and you can't expect much activity from the cats, except for Ruby and Little Girl's sisterly spats.

This is Ruby, to the left, and Little Girl is below.













Most of their fights stem from Ruby trying to bathe her sister, and Little Girl getting fed up with it... they go through spurts of this. Sometimes they get on wonderfully, othertimes Little Girl seems to decide Ruby is an enemy lol.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment